As the venerable GG-1's reached the twilight of their career, Amtrak added a flourish to their inevitable exit by repainting one of the units into the Pennsylvania Railroad paint scheme that she wore when she was delivered to the railroad back in 1943.
Amtrak's then-President, Paul Reistrup approved the project and the repainting was funded by the railfan community. The 4935 returned to operation, resplendent in her original livery, in May 1977. She is pictured her just six months later as she rolls through Elizabeth, NJ with an Amtrak Northeast Corridor train. The first car behind her is a power generator to enable use of all-electric Amfleet cars behind the 4985, which was not itself equipped with head-end power capability. The fireman seems to have an appreciation for the special nature of the 4985 as he gave the photographer a big wave as they passed by.
The 4985 lasted in service for another three years until major repairs were required, and she was retired. Today she resides, in excellent condition, inside the main hall of the Pennsylvania State Railroad Museum in Strasburg, PA.
It's difficult to imagine such a gesture to railroad history and heritage emanating from current Amtrak management.