Vista Dome Monument
The monument in the foreground stood for many years alongside the road through Glenwood Canyon, CO.
From the monument's plaque:
"Idea for the Vista-Dome railroad car was conceived on the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad across the Colorado River from this point on July 4, 1944. Riding through Glenwood Canyon in the fireman's seat high in the nose of a Rio Grande diesel locomotive built by his company [just like the F units in the background - LJG] C.R. Osborne, Vice-President of General Motors and General Manager of Electro-Motive Division, was struck with the need for some means of giving passengers an unobstructed view of the inspiring scenery overhead and on all side. The idea of building glass-enclosed domes into the cars occurred to him. Unlike so many originators of unusual new ideas, Mr. Osborn in a brief five years saw his dream grow into full practical utilization. Vista-Dome California Zephyr trains went into service March 21, 1949 between San Francisco and Chicago and daily pass the spot where the idea was born.
September 14, 1950"
After displacement by the construction of Interstate 70 through the canyon, the monument found a new home at the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden, CO.