Back in the 1800's Animas City was a thriving mining town based on the banks of the Animas River in Southwest Colorado. But when the Denver & Rio Grande railroad pushed its rails into the area it elected to put its depot several miles to the south, where, just by coincidence, it owned all the land in the vicinity. This became the town of Durango, which prospered while the isolated Animas City floundered and eventually was subsumed.
In this south-facing view from the slopes of Animas City Mountain, the former Animas City can be seen along what is now called North Main Avenue. Downtown Durango is barely visible in the distance, just to the right of the tip of the evergreen tree.